HERMES: Olympian messenger to and for the gods
Hermes is the character I chose to create around a pair of cardboard shoe forms. Three layers of recycled paper in the Papier mache technique was used on the shoe forms to create Hermes's winged sandals, which I covered with silk fabric; leather for the sandals and feathers for the wings.
Winged sandals: 6.5 x 3 x 2 inches/16.5 x 7.6 x 10.1 cm
Next, I created Hermes's petasos (winged helmet). Using recycled paper, I free-formed the helmet and painted it with acrylic paint. Feathers, a leather visor and a brass button depicting Hermes, were added to complete the helmet.
Brass button with Hermes
I decorated a shoe box with acrylic paint, and images from a piece of wrapping paper with Roman architectural images, to house the pieces.
The lid of the shoe box: silk and paper: 12.5 x 6.75 x 4.25 inches/31.25 x 17.5 x 10.5 cm
Inside the shoe box: paper column and acrylic paint
Inside the lid: acrylic paint and paper
The final pieces include a hand-written scroll with an abridged version of the Homeric hymn to Hermes, and a leather mail pouch, with a brass button depicting Hermes, to hold the scroll.
Handwritten scroll: closed: 6 x 1.3 inches/15.2 x 4 cm/ Open: 6 x 144 inches/15.2 x 365.7 cm
Leather mail bag for the scroll: 7.25 x 6 inches/18.5 x 15.2 cm
This is the second piece created from the journey of the shoes.
Mary
bbinder999@gmail.com









Comments
Post a Comment