Puttin' On The Ritz
This piece was inspired by the1939 song, 'Puttin' On The Ritz' by Irving Berlin and a pair of cardboard shoe forms. I created the top hat with three layers of papier mache and painted it with black acrylic paint. Three layers of papier mache was used for the shoes and then covered with silk fabric. The inside of the hat is lined with red, chiyogami paper with firework images. I found the hand at a local shop and stained it with linseed oil and appliqued blue ginkgo leaves onto it. On thin strips of Japanese gampi paper, I wrote the lyrics to the song. This was such a fun piece to make.
top hat and wooden hand with applique
top hat, shoes and Japanese gampi strips with hand-written song lyrics
Measurements:
Top hat, hand, text: 12.5 x 6.5 x 5.5 inches/31.2 x 16.5 x 14 cm
Shoes: 7.75 x 4 x 3.75 inches/19.7 x 10.1 x 9.5 cm
Materials: recycled paper, wood, silk, acrylic paint, synthetic gems, cardboard shoe forms, ink
Techniques Used:
papier mache, applique, hand-written text
Mary
bbinder999@gmail.com




Comments
Post a Comment