What's In Your Heart?
I started thinking about love and why it is ascribed to the heart. I wondered how much one knows about what's in her or his heart and what's in the heart of others who are loved and respected. Do we really know what is in: our heart? or the heart of another? Sometimes words expressed tell us exactly what is being felt, while at other times, behaviours inform us and others what a single word cannot. These thoughts and questions inspired this piece.
I particularly like the sculptural element of the papier mache technique. I like the layering and shaping and watching a piece becoming as it was imagined.
I created this heart in two pieces. The interior is painted with gold acrylic paint and has six, red glass hearts attached to it. The exterior is painted with red and gold acrylic paint. The base is cardboard covered with chiyogami paper. There are thirteen (13) scrolls with fourteen (14) hand-written poems (one scroll has two poems) about the heart. The scrolls rest in the heart and when picked up and shaken, a scroll falls out. That is the poem to read for the hour, day, week, or month. It's all up to the person holding the heart.
Materials: repurposed paper, leather, acrylic paint, glass hearts, paper, ink, cardboard
Measurements:
Heart: 8 x 5.75 inches/20.3 x 14.6 cm
Base: 1 x 3.25 inches/2.5 x 10.5 cm
Scrolls: are all 3 inches/7.6 cm wide and the lengths vary depending on the length of the poem(s).
Techniques used: papier mache, painting, hand writing
Mary
bbinder999@gmail.com


Comments
Post a Comment