Boxing the New Year


HAPPY NEW YEAR 

Up, up and away, it's the beginning of a new year and a new decade.  What a fabulous time to seek out new opportunities and make new friendships.  So I am starting out this year with a couple of new boxes.  

PENCIL BOX 

I found this beautifully decorated paper at my favourite paper store in Ottawa.  This box originally started out to be a Japanese hidden compartment box.  I realized it was much too deep for my purpose, so I reinvented it into a pencil and pen box.  I have been keeping the pens and pencils in a cotton bag, however, getting the one I wanted out of the bag, at times, required pulling out more than one instrument.  So, when I completed this box, I stashed my pens, pencils, erasers and pencil sharpeners in it.  It's the perfect size and pretty to look at too. 






the box lid 

JAPANESE HIDDEN COMPARTMENT BOX 

I usually make a couple of these every year, usually as gifts.  They take a lot of time to make and when completed I have a real sense of satisfaction. 

box front 

I found this fabulous paper with the constellations on it and contrasted that with a beautiful piece of chiyogami paper that I picked up in Toronto, on my last trip there.   


 back of the box 

 box lid with a silver, turquoise and coral star


When opening the front of the box, there are two compartments.  I lined the bottom of the compartments with a fine Italian leather. 


When the box is turned 180 degrees and opened, there is a single compartment.  

This is a wonderful way to give a special gift to someone, hiding it in the hidden compartment. 

That's all for now.  I have some new and exciting artist's books in the works which I will post when completed   

If you have any questions about my work or a specific piece, feel free to contact me at: bbinder999@gmail.com, or you can contact me through this blog. 

Wishing you all a wonderfully creative and exciting new year.  

Mary 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AUTUMN IS UPON US AND CREATIVITY IS STILL ALIVE

Playing: Music, Medieval Times and Shapes